Friday, May 25, 2007

Improving Academic Performance



It's important that every student has to know how to study and how to improve their academic performance. I remember last year when I was still in high school, it was a difficult time for Chinese students... study study study all day long... some students even don't sleep more than 3 hours a day!!!! In this article, several good points are given for us on how to study.

Setting up a schedule for studying is a very good method. I used to write down what's in my mind and do all the things step by step. It's not to follow the rules, but to feel more comfortable and relax when you have do to a lot of things in hand. Find a plave to study where you can concentrate is very important. I remember some of my classmates prefer to go on the streets to study!!!That's...oh my god~~~ I prefer to study at home, home is a nice and quite place for me to concentrate, there are several points that you have to be aware of when studying at home. One is always keep yourself awake. Moreover, don't be lazy while you study, it's not good for you to stand up and walk around always (for example some people like to stand up and walk around every 20 minutes). You have to learn how to control yourself. When I was in high school, the best thing is to reward myself! haha~~have a snack and walk around is a good way to make yourself more concentrated in later study. This worked quite well for me.

Though I'm still not in university yet, I believe "getting more out of lectures". No one can say that they are so smart that they don't even need to go to classes. Even if the lectures are hard to understand or the teachers are not right for you. It is important to attend the lectures. You can at least get some points out of the lecture. There's a sentence in the article, " The key to getting more out of lectures is to stay motivated, stay attentive, and expend the effort to make your notes as complete as possible. To be a smart student is not to follow all the teachers word, but to make the best out of it.

As I said in the beginning, some of my friends don't sleep much. They think that they can sleep less and use sleeping time to study more than others who sleep. That's wrong!!! "The purpose of sleep may be more to rest the mind than to rest the body." After a whole days hard study, and max use of mind, it's good to have a rest and sleep well in order to make progess the next day. Sleeping well can make yourself concentrated more and have a higher speed in reaction. Why not be more efficient when it's time to study and sleep well when it's time to sleep? I have a friend in middle school, he's not a smart boy, but he knows how to study. That's why he always got good marks. To be honest, every time my classmates called him to ask him questions, he was always sleeping... when asked why he always sleeps? His answer was: I can solve problems while sleeping!

Haha~~~ Have a nice weekend my friends! Remember! When it's time for bed, go to bed! Don't make yourself too tired, still two more tough weeks! Keep on going!

4 comments:

cathy said...

Well done! I think it is a good reading to us. It shows us some good methods to study ,if we use them we can get more benefits.

Jennifer said...

If you want to get a good sleep, the most important thing is to make a stydying schedule and follow it as well. Otherwise, you have no choice but study all night before exam. However, even you use sleeping time to study, it is not a effective studying! It never works when you leave everything at the last minute.

mistone said...

Hi Alice, your writing taught me a lot, as you are always the first in the class to get things done. I will keep your words in my mind.

ownhearts said...

g0o0od job, Before when i was trying to improve my reading , i stop at every word and i look for it in the dictionary.........To finish one article maybe i take 2 -4 hours which is impossible in exams and also, it was hard for me to get the idea of the whole article in few first minutes.But now i find myself able from the survey to get main ideas, at least to know what will be about....Also, if i meet difficult words which is sure, i can get their meaning through the whole sentence. i think really my reading has improved now i can read articles in magazines and journals without any problems.